Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Babyboomers - sheltered from life's fallout??

For those who were born in Generations X, Y and Z, they don't quite understand us baby-boomers. I know, it's all our fault for messing things up for you guys. But you have to understand, where we came from and WHO our parents were. Most likely either your parents, an aunt/uncle, your grandparents or a older cousin was a baby-boomer. It was a idyllic time in many ways - but we had our fears too.

 Most of our parents were either from the "Greatest Generation" or the "Silent Generation"  memories of a depression, a world war, nuclear bomb, and holocaust was still heavy on their minds. World War 2 was over. Enter "The Cold War".

I attended a public school in San Francisco. Every child wore dog-tags, exactly like the military. It had our blood-type on it. We did monthly drills where each child would gather with their blood-type group. I was 0-neg. I remember there were only 2 of us in the whole school and the other person was a "yucky boy".  We did the "duck and cover" in our classrooms as well. We also prepared for earthquakes. I know it's shocking that San Francisco,  would be that prepared - and this was in the Haight-Ashbury, where I lived. Seems we were always doing drills! People made bomb shelters. As a child I remember worrying about Soviet Missiles - at a time when I should of been playing contently with my paper dolls or tinker toys.  I remember seeing the movie "The Russians are coming-The Russians are coming" with my folks at a drive in. I mean our society was obsessed.

The cold war lasted from 1945 to 1991. I guess the height of it was in the 50's and 60's. I don't remember dog tags for my sons, or air raid drills in the classrooms when they attended school in the 80's and 90's.

Maybe being raised by parents who had seen so much, and been through so much, that made them spoil us.  They wanted a better life for us. - literally "shelter" us from the bad parts of life they experienced. Maybe we blew it, I don't know but if we are the way we are, now maybe you'll try and understand us a little more.



Follow my blog with Bloglovin http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=48

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine having bomb drills in school. Our biggest worries were tornadoes, fires and running out of chocolate milk in the cafeteria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about these things. My grandparents survived the depression on eatting potatos from their potato farm.

    things have certainly changed and we dont 'worry' as much or are not as prepared as we probably should be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback.